Filmed in New York City in 2014 and moderated by
blogger and financial educator Tonya Rapley, the Own Your Money/Own Your Life discussion brought together a group of Millennial New Yorkers to talk about the issues they face as they establish their financial independence. Topics ranged from banking options and student loan debt to retirement, career choices and long-term financial goals.
Episode 2: Is College Necessary?
We’ve all heard about the importance of higher education, but is college always the right choice? What are the pros and cons of a four-year college education? And, if you do decide to go, how do you manage the cost?
- What do you think of Chevon’s advice to young people that they should not take out student loans?
- Are you surprised by Misha and Justin’s views on art and film school?
- What are some of the nonacademic skills that the participants say they gained from college?
- Can you relate to Nicole’s story about choosing community college as a transition to four-year college?
- Do you agree with Sean that “the bachelor’s degree is the new high school diploma?”
Like On Your Own on
Facebook and follow us on Instagram at onyourown_ to let us know what you think about the pros and cons of traditional college.